I write letters to my children on their birthdays. Here is last year’s letter to Aaron.
Eeee! You’re 8 years old!
Happy birthday to you, son. You are very excited to celebrate your birthday this year with an ice cream sundae party with friends and family.
Some memories from this year…
- Our family went on a cruise in the Carribbean.
- You and Dad did your annual camping trip together.
- You dressed up as Steve from Minecraft for Halloween. The box on your head wasn’t very comfortable, so Grandpa carried it around while you were trick-or-treating.
- Your aunts and uncles taught you how to fish at the beach.
- I coached your soccer team, and you scored your first goal in our final game of the season.
- You opened a bank account.
- We moved to a new house in a new neighborhood. You changed schools, and made new friends immediately.
- You got to watch Star Wars for the first time.
- You got your own bedroom, and you love having your own space.
- You started playing the ukulele. Now we have family ukulele lessons every two days.
You love playing games and working out math problems. Your current favorite books are Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Dog Man. You enjoy playing outdoors, swimming, and riding your Razor scooter through our neighborhood. You are flexible with changes, and are growing into a thoughtful, kind, and strong person.
I hope that this year is filled with joy for you. I love the gift of being your mother, and am grateful for who you are.
I love you always.