Happy 2017, dear friends!
Near the end of the year, I take time to reflect on the past year. It helps me to remember what I learned, consider the greater context of my life, and embrace the coming of a new year.
1. What was the best thing that happened this year?
Getting to live with lots of purpose and passion through spiritual direction, ministry, writing, and other creative venues.
2. What was the most challenging thing that happened?
This year felt like a horrible earthquake with never-ending aftershocks, so it’s hard to boil it down to one thing. Maybe a good way to sum it up is “all the people treating other people like crap.”
3. What was an unexpected joy?
Creating a really awesome community in my Facebook group The Spiritual Journeyers.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Hopelessness. I’ve been battling hopelessness, particularly with racial injustice and the U.S. political climate, and trying hard to remain engaged and hopeful in God’s redemptive power.
5. Pick three words to describe 2016.
Tumultuous. God-driven. Listening.
6. What were the best books you read this year?
7. What did you do in 2016 that you’ve never done before?
My husband and I were on a performing arts team for an international audience of about 1,000 people. It was exhilarating. I also became a contributing writer for The Huffington Post.
8. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My 2016 was characterized by two aims:
- Follow the joy – build life around what is fueled by joy.
- Listen and obey – make space to hear God’s voice and follow his lead.
Those two guidelines seemed to lead me to good places. I think I’ll continue in that direction in 2017.
9. For what are you most grateful?
There are so many things to be grateful for…
- a rich friendship with God
- my husband and our three kids
- living on Oahu
- being near my parents
- community with courageous people
10. How did you change this year?
I am more confident than ever before. This year I did things that normally would have made me feel insecure, but instead were exhilarating. I’m not sure if this confidence comes from years of pressing into my belovedness with God, or simply because I’m now in my mid-thirties. In any case, I’m glad to be here.
11. What moments were most memorable?
Performing theatre in Indonesia for 1,000 people. Going on a cruise in the Carribbean with Steve’s family. Hearing God give us direction for 2017.
12. What were your greatest discoveries?
- Disney’s Moana filled me with joy
- Everlane shirts are all I want to wear
- Classes at my gym
- Canva for designing graphics
13. What are you looking forward to this coming year?
I am excited to extend God’s love and presence to people around me, launch a monthly creatives gathering, and publish a book.
14. What was the most significant thing you learned this year?
We become our truest selves in the presence of God.