Hello, 2009! I found this questionnaire floating around the internet, and thought it would be a fun way to reflect on the past year.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Turned 27. Had this blog re-designed. Sewed a dress. Celebrated 2 years of marriage. Was attacked by a flying shopping cart. Traveled to Europe. Got pregnant.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I committed to making healthy food and exercise choices, including going to the gym three times a week. I’m proud to say I kept that resolution and lost 35 pounds. This year, my resolutions are to continue last year’s resolution, and learn how to be a great parent.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister-in-law and her husband had a beautiful baby girl.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Mexico, England, Spain and Italy.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A personal assistant. The perfect pair of boots. A house we own. More courage and sense of self.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 4th, the day Obama got elected. December 10th, the anatomy ultrasound when we discovered the baby was very clearly a boy.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Losing 35 pounds. Getting pregnant.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Giving in to dessert too many times.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got pinkeye and came down with a few colds, but nothing major.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
An iPhone. Maternity pants.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Public figures who lied, stole and/or cheated.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Groceries. Plane tickets to Europe and Hawaii.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
We’re having a baby!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Viva la Vida, by Coldplay.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
Happier, fatter around the middle, and same as last year.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Paint. Read. Keep in touch with people.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my family in Hawaii, eating large quantities of food and opening large quantities of gifts.
21. How did you spend New Year’s?
With Steve’s side of the family in San Diego, playing poker and Quelf (my new favorite board game).
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes, with my unborn son.
23. How many one night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
The Daily Show. The Office. Lost.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Kings of Leon. Vampire Weekend.
28. What did you want and get?
Trip to Europe. A baby boy. An Obama win.
29. What did you want and not get?
A new season of 24.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Um, Iron Man? I didn’t watch many films this year.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was stuck at home with pink eye on the day I turned 27. But later that weekend, we had an awesome cocktail party (which included the legendary Larissatini) with some great friends.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A Trader Joe’s in walking distance from my house.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
“Classic and comfortable.” Lots of tops, jeans and flats ensembles with cute accessories. More recently, it’s been “whatever fits me today.”
34. What kept you sane?
Cooking. Daily naps. My husband. Exercise. The Office. This blog.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The entire presidential election.
37. Who did you miss?
My parents. Katy. Jack Bauer.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
My new niece.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
More often than not, things are beyond my personal control. But I am still responsible and accountable for my choices.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“Sapphire and faded jeans, I hope you get your dreams; just go ahead, let your hair down.” (Put Your Records On, by Corinne Bailey Rae)
17 thoughts on “Reflections on 2008”
Yes, Viva la Vida will always remind me of England!
yay for the bebe! can’t wait for him to make his debut this year 🙂
Wow, way to stick with that resolution last year! Congrats on the weight loss, and the really, really awesome reason for a little weight gain 😉 Here’s to 2009!!
Sweet quote from Corinne Bailey Rae!!>>(I’m pretty sure I can take credit for introducing you to her music)
You know what will remind me of England? A pool with a VIEW.
You had such an eventful 2008! Wishing you an even sweeter 2009 🙂
A personal assistant… now that WOULD be an amazing addition to 2009.
Awww… I miss you too. (I’m assuming I’m your one and only Katy) 🙂
YAY for 2008. Can’t wait to see what 09 brings, on SO many levels 🙂
I loved reading this questionnaire and your answers. We are soo looking forward to meeting our grandson in May. You forgot, you also visited Turkey. Mom Marks
I couldn’t help it… so I gave you a bloggy award. Hope you haven’t already gotten it 🙂
Love your comments…Hauoli Makahiki Hou! Be Happy, Be Safe, Be the Person God Wants You to Be!>>I did a meme from one of my friends blogs take a look when you have time something similiar to your questions in this post.
viva la vida, is an EPIC tune
Sounds like you had a great 2008!! I can’t wait to meet the baby this year!
Yay to #6 (The perfect pair of boots) and Happy New Year!
2008 was really a lovely year, huh? I have a feeling that there is so much already in store for 2009 that is has to be even better!>>I hope all is going well!
but alas, a new season on 24 has now begun!