As someone committed to a healthy lifestyle, I was concerned about my month-long travel plans this summer, and the toll they might take on my eating and exercise habits. While traveling, it is easy to abandon healthy practices. Irregular schedule, eating out at restaurants, and enjoying new foods can quickly add up to unwanted weight gain.
Fortunately, with a few minor strategies, I was able to enjoy the traveling and keep my health in tact (I actually came home two pounds lighter!). I believe it is possible to make good choices wherever you are, and come home as healthy as ever. Here are some tips on making healthy decisions while traveling:
- Get creative with exercise. There are many great ways to burn calories while traveling. Walk to your destinations as much as possible, go on hikes, play sports. Also, make use of the hotel fitness center. If you’re staying in a location for an extended time, you can even join an exercise class at the local gym.
- Drink lots of water. Alcohol and coffee can dehydrate your body, and can add to your caloric intake. Stick to water as much as possible.
- Pack healthy snacks. Be prepared with healthy food so you won’t be temped to snack on whatever is available. Dried fruit and nuts are easy to bring on the road.
- Make good choices while dining out. Excessive calories are easily consumed at restaurants, so have a plan for those meals. Eat half of your dish, or share a meal. Order low-fat protein with vegetables as sides. Eat slowly.
- Indulge in moderation. Eat small portions of whatever you like. Split a piece of cake with a companion, or have one glass of wine instead of two.