As 2007 winds down, I’ve been reflecting on all that this year has brought, and am amazed at how much has happened. Here are some of my highlights of the year.
- Moved into new job roles – Steve and I transitioned into new positions with our work as college pastors, and have found the change to be challenging and exciting. It’s particularly been fun to get to work and partner together in a job that we’re both passionate about.
- Celebrated our first wedding anniversary – I can’t believe it’s been over a year since our wedding! Year one of marriage was a blast. Many people warned us that the first year is a difficult one, but we enjoyed it so much. I’m so grateful for my wonderful husband.
- Turned a whoppin’ 26 in January – passing the quarter-century mark, I decided to celebrate sophisticate-style with the wine tasting party to end all wine tasting parties. In the company of great friends, our home turned into a wine and cheese extravaganza, and I merrily (very merrily) welcomed in year 2-6.
- Got a bit healthier – after doing zero point zero physical activity, eating like there was no tomorrow, and putting on a few pounds in the last couple of years, I finally decided to make some changes for the better. Together, Steve and I did the Master Cleanse, created a sustainable Healthy Habits plan, and joined a great online peer support group (which I plan to post more about soon).
- Had some automotive adventures – during the summer I learned how to drive stick shift so I could use our car, and I got really good. Good enough to even hit a parked car in November.
- Cooked. A lot. – since getting married, cooking has quickly become a favorite hobby. Maybe it’s because I have another person to cook for, maybe it’s because we received tons of great cooking gadgets as wedding presents. In any case, I spent the better part of the year experimenting in the kitchen, and loved every second of it.
- Went on a few trips – we traveled far and wide for work, vacation and to visit friends and family. Our travels included Nevada (Las Vegas and Reno), Illinois (Chicago), Mexico (Rosarito), Hawaii (Oahu and Kauai), and good ol’ California (San Diego, Lodi, the Bay Area, Catalina Island).
- Launched a blog – The Larissa Monologues was birthed in March 2007, around the same time as Steve’s The View from the Porch. I began this blog primarily as an outlet and motivator for various reflections and creative activities. Since then, it has evolved quite a bit – a little bit personal, a little bit foodie and gardener, a little bit health – and has allowed me to meet all sorts of amazing people in the blogosphere, along with keeping me connected with friends and family.
It’s been an exciting one. Here’s to a wonderful 2008!